Honoring Veterans

1:00:00 PM

There are many events through the states and probably the world that honor Veterans and raise money for organizations that help them. There happens to be one in my own hometown that raises money to send veterans on a day trip to the capital, Washington D.C. This is called an Honor Flight. In honor of their sacrifice and what they have done for the country. When they take off for their trip, family members and friends are there at the airport to see them off and when they return they are greeted with cheers and applause, something some of them may not have gotten when they returned from their service. 


An event that I had the chance to attend, while home on spring break, along with my mom, step dad and a few of their friends, was called the Honor Walk held by a local brewery. Thousands of people gather in the morning on the first Saturday of spring. (yes I know that was days ago, but I haven't found the time to put this post up just yet!)
The walk is considered a 5k (which means it's about 3 miles.) I like being active and being outside in the rare warm weather was great. Though in the beginning it was a bit chilly, it did warm up as the sun stayed out a bit longer. 


There are a group of people who decide to run, though I think that the majority of participants decide to walk. The group I was in was keeping a brisk pace, which was good because I can't stand to walk too slowly, unless I'm staring at something or completely distracted. There were also a few dogs that were there and it was somewhat difficult to not hug them and take them home. 


After walking, many of the 21 and over humans head over to the beer tent. Wanting to avoid the crowds, and fill our stomachs first, my parents and their family friends and I, all went out to eat. We ate at a local restaurant I actually had never stepped foot in before. Being in a new restaurant was fun and I also tried my first ever flat bread sandwich! It was called a caprese and it was actually delicious. 


I'm not quite 21 yet, therefore I went home instead of going back to the brewery with everyone. All in all, it was a great day and I had fun. 

Have you gone to an even that raised money for something before? What did you do? 
I hope the weather has been great wherever you live! 
As always, thanks for reading!
xx
Kenzie 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Sounds like an amazing event! I'm glad you had a great time. I haven't been to any event to raise money which is quite a shame. I must say there aren't so many in Spain as in the US. The weather is lovely here too, unfortunately my holidays are coming to an end.
    Have a great day, Kenzie :)

    http://memoriesofthepacific.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I really appreciate and can't wait to hear from you again!

Instagram